Fundamentals of Digital Marketing, Social Media, and E-Commerce
Build the marketing skills you need to succeed in the Digital Economy from Wharton Online, consistently ranked #1 globally for marketing education. This online digital marketing certification provides the framework for success in digital marketing, social media marketing, and e-commerce.
About this course:
Digital marketing has changed the nature of modern business. The advent of the Internet has changed nearly every aspect of our lives, and digital marketing, social media, and e-commerce have become crucial to business growth in the 21st century.
Arm yourself with the fundamental principles and practices of marketing in the digital economy by taking this course, taught by e-commerce expert and Wharton professor David Bell. This online digital marketing course will provide a powerful foundation to further exploration and study of digital marketing, an ever-evolving and fast paced field.
This business and management course will give you an understanding of how the digital economy works, and you’ll develop the critical insights necessary to succeed in e-commerce, digital, and social media marketing.
The Internet and related technologies exert a profound influence on how business and social institutions evolve. Companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Uber have dramatically changed how we interact, communicate, and travel. In a matter of years, Amazon and Google have forever changed the way we shop and consume information. If you’re an entrepreneur, investor, manager, or student, you need thoughtful approaches to navigate and thrive in this new environment.
This course is organized around four broad themes, and we will use relevant theory and analysis, with practical examples, to develop our key learning points.
Themes of this course:
- Behavioral foundations for understanding and navigating the new online-offline landscape
- New forms of interaction, including formation of networks and reputation building
- Tools and principles of digital marketing action including online advertising on fixed and mobile devices
- New media platforms and emergence of “organic” celebrities and communities
This course is an evolution of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School’s first course on digital marketing and e-commerce. This course empowers marketing professionals, analysts, entrepreneurs, small business owners, investors, and consumers at every experience level.
This course is part of Wharton’s Online Digital Marketing Professional Certificate. For more information, see here.
What you’ll learn
- How to leverage new models in business and e-commerce to increase profitability
- Successful social media and digital marketing techniques
- Real-world application of digital marketing and e-commerce methods
- How to market yourself and your products more effectively and efficiently
2-3 hours per week
$585 per course/ $2340 for the Digital Marketing Certificate
Overview of Modules:
MODULE 1: BEHAVIORAL FOUNDATIONS
- Overall Introduction to the Course
- Online-Offline Overview
- New Business Models of the Digital Economy: Principles and Examples
- Introduction to GRAVITY (Geography, Resistance, Adjacency, Vicinity, Isolation, Topography, and You)
MODULE 2: NEW FORMS OF INTERACTION
- Frictions and Commerce
- Variety and the Digital Economy
- Online-Offline Interaction and the Omni Channel World
- Reputation and Reviews
MODULE 3: TOOLS AND PRINCIPLES
- Introduction to Digital Marketing Assets
- Digital Marketing Tools and Tactics: A Taxonomy
- Online Advertising: Approaches and Principles
- Earned and Integrated Media
- Mobile Engagement
MODULE 4: NEW MEDIA PLATFORMS
- Networks Effects
- Social Advertising and Social Targeting
- Viral Product Features and Viral Content
- Organic Celebrity, Persuasion, and Sentiment
- Online Community and Models of Influence
Why Study Digital Marketing?
With more than 3 billion people on the Internet, 1.52 billion daily active Facebook users, 300 million Amazon shoppers, and 5.6 billion Google searches every day, marketers must adapt to digital marketing trends or they will be left behind. New Internet tools, platforms, and media formats provide incredible opportunities for informed digital marketers. Staying ahead of digital marketing trends empowers future professionals to survive and thrive in the breakneck pace of digital marketing.
Why Study Social Media Marketing?
Social media has changed the way people, brands, and businesses interact. 79% of global Internet users are on Facebook, and HubSpot claims 74% of people claim to use Facebook for professional purposes. Social media has blended into the world of business, customer service, branding, and e-commerce, and social media marketing presents exciting opportunities for brand growth and innovation.
This social media marketing online course shows the rise of social platforms, with fundamental strategies for incorporating social media into your overall digital marketing strategy.
Why Study E-Commerce?
E-commerce has changed the way the world shops. As conventional retailers pivot or close stores, the consumers have turned to online shopping for essentials, clothing, jewelry, and even automobiles. 96% of Americans have shopped online, and 80% have shopped online in the past month. Businesses of any size can take advantage of the opportunities for business growth in e-commerce.
This course will empower you to use e-commerce to expand your digital marketing strategy.
Faculty for this Course
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing, Social Media, and E-Commerce is taught by David Bell, Marketing expert and Author of Location Is (Still) Everything: The Surprising Influence of the Real World on How We Search, Shop, and Sell in the Virtual One.
David Bell’s research focuses on e-commerce, interdependent choice, space-time diffusion, social contagion and virality, and the intricacies of neighborhood effects. His research also incorporates traditional retail and individual choice, impulse, and unplanned buying.
- Independent Choice
- Space-Time Diffusion
- Social Contagion
- Tradition Retail and Individual Choice
- Neighborhood Effects
We want to help you take your learning to the next level.
Click below to begin the conversation.